Men4Men Sexual Health Outreach Project (SHOP)

AboutSpecialist Psychosexual Therapy ServiceSTIs (Sexually Transmitted Infections)PEP (Post Exposure Prophylaxis)GUM ServicesOrder FREE Condoms & Sexual Health LiteratureHomophobiaLocal Gay Venues in BedfordshireService Feedback FormContactLinks

  PEP How to get PEP?  
ADVICE ON POST EXPOSURE PROPHYLAXIS (PEP) for Men who have sex with other Men, based in Bedfordshire




Order FREE Condoms & Lube


You can get PEP at a Sexual Health Clinic or in the Accident & Emergency (A&E) department of some hospitals. A&Es are especially important at weekends because most sexual health clinics will not be open. You must start PEP within 72 hours of putting yourself at risk of HIV, though the sooner you start the treatment the more likely it is to be effective. Because HIV medication is expensive, clinics will not prescribe PEP unless they feel that there is a very real chance that infection will take place if they don't. PEP will not be given to someone who is already HIV-positive and so if you ask for PEP they will give you an HIV Test. If you are HIV-negative they will probably try to establish what your risk of infection is, and this will depend on the likelihood of your partner being HIV-positive and how risky the sex you had was. If you know that your partner was HIV-positive, and he is willing to come to the clinic or hospital with you, it may be easier for you to access. You can self assess your risk of maybe requiring PEP.

This website provides information about GUM clinics. Services provided by clinics are vary, so it is recommended that you call in advance to check that a clinic can provide you with PEP.










Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust

Accessibility   Privacy   Legal   Site Map    


Website Counter
(Site visits since the 29 May 2008)